Applying the principles of Agile in practice:
Our approach uses the principles and selected practices of Agile to create a highly effective environment for managing portfolios.
For example, it does not use cumbersome templates. It uses highly effective visuals to present items to be considered for inclusion in the portfolio and to map every item within it to specific business objectives. It also shows how to reduce much of the documentation that can be found around the projects and programmes within them while improving the clarity around those items.
At the heart of every well-managed portfolio:
For every item to be proposed for inclusion, there will be a highly focused one-page business case. This is very different to traditional business cases and will be focused on the benefits the proposed item will enable, for all stakeholders. Going forward, you could call the business case whatever you wish.
- The aim is then to maximise the collective business benefits that are achieved by its outputs, on an ongoing basis.
Why choose this course?
- We will show you how to ensure that every item in the portfolio has crystal clearly defined benefits, together with what is needed to achieve them.
- We use an Agile approach to everything, focusing on simplifying and improving communication, key information and improving decision making and most importantly improving the results achieved.
- Many training providers assume everything in your portfolio is software That’s just not true. Our approach caters for all types of items, including software.
- We will not bombard you with a mass of new (alien) terminology. The language will be the same as you would expect to hear in any business. You will not hear liberal use of the ‘value’ word, but we will talk constantly about the results, benefits and measures that you use, and the items within it.
What our course will do
- We have well over 15 years of practical experience of the topic that has the biggest single value to this topic. It provides the core data for each item in the portfolio, in a format that invaluable to this process. We demonstrate this within the course.
- The course covers reviewing proposed items from the pipeline, and approving them and including them in the current portfolio.
- It then covers the core processes that should be carried out periodically.
What we promise we won’t do:
- We will never show you anything you would not want to do in the real world.
Course Output: Strawman Process
This is no ordinary training course; it is both a course and a working session. The course will describe each element and then allow you to consider how it will be applied in practice in your organisation. The course will produce a formal deliverable that will go towards your own process for Agile Portfolio management. The cost of the course includes for us to produce this deliverable.
It can be delivered:
- face-to-face at your location (and yes we travel outside of the UK to deliver courses), or
- through our online training portal and yes we are very used to dealing with many times zones.
This course is very different as it has two main aims that we address throughout the course:
- to demonstrate how to adopt disciplined but Agile approaches at the portfolio level
- to enable teams to develop and identify a strawman process within the course.
Agenda: duration 1 day
|Following this course:||You will have the basis of an Agile based process.|
|Managing the pipeline:||Change cycles and Portfolios|
|Sizing proposed items|
|Presenting proposals : the Agile business case|
|Calculating and Quantifying Benefits|
|Business Case scoring and analysis|
|Managing the portfolio itself:||Pipeline approvals|
|Benefits Mapping – crucial to objective prioritisation|
|Dealing with capacity|
|Prioritisation & Rationalisation|
|Structuring the portfolio around business objectives|
Email us today for a fixed price for in-house delivery regardless of location.
Contact Us Now
Email us today to find out more on how we can help you.